Spain has updated its travel entry requirements as the world grapples with the newly detected COVID variant Omicron.
Until now, the Spanish government has required all arrivals from the UK to present a Health Control Form on entry, and either a negative COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination.
From tomorrow (1 December), however, the rules change, with passengers arriving at Corvera Airport Murcia and other destinations only allowed entry if fully vaccinated.
The new rules are outlined, and regularly updated, on the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel advice website GOV.UK.
The key points are:
- All arrivals to Spain from the UK (excluding children under the age of 12 years) should present proof of being fully vaccinated (with both doses of a two-dose vaccine or one of a one-dose vaccine) at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain, with a vaccine authorised by the European Medicines Agency or World Health Organisation.
- All passengers (including children under 12) must complete and sign an online Health Control Form no more than 48 hours before travel.
- Spain accepts the UK’s COVID-19 vaccination record but, if travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November to ensure the certificate can be scanned successfully. (Note: The NHS appointment card from vaccination centres “is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status”.)
- Certificates of recovery – i.e. medical documents certifying you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last six months prior to travel – are not currently accepted for arrivals from the UK.
- Documents can be in English, Spanish, French or German, and in paper or electronic format.
The UK office advises that further rules may apply for passengers who have travelled to a country on Spain’s list of “high-risk countries” during the 14 days before travel. It also notes that entry requirements may vary depending on a passenger’s reason for travel to Spain – including permanent residential status.